Thursday, March 30, 2006

You Don't Send Me Flowers

Okay so...I've never been a girl who needed grand romantic gestures or expensive gifts to keep me happy. Thoughtfulness does rate high on my appreciation list however, so I do enjoy thoughtful, considerate, kind and surprise gestures. But, one of the things that I've always had this little thing for...and this may seem silly...is someone sending me flowers at my job. I don't know why...maybe I saw it in a movie once or read it in a book, but I've always wanted to get a call from the front desk saying that I had a package and then to my surprise, it turns out to be flowers! I've talked about it enough over the years that my best friend took pity on me and sent me tulips one year...lol. Well, fast forward to the present...on Monday I was sitting at my desk, maybe working, when my coworker calls to tell me I have a package. I'm thinking...I wasn't expecting anything, but maybe someone sent me updated plans for one of my projects or something. I walk to the front to see what it is (looking right past a beautiful bouquet of red roses in a vase sitting on the counter). "So, where's my package," I ask her. She laughs. "Right there on the counter...it's the roses!" Confused much more than I should be, "Huh? Those are for me??" She laughed again, "Now, if you don't want them...I'll take them off your hands!" Finally I get the picture, pick up the roses and head back to my desk. Considering it wasn't a holiday or my birthday nor do I have a boyfriend nor am I really even dating anyone at this time, I hadn't a clue who might have sent them. I finally read the card when I get back to my desk. The card reads something like...Just wanted you to know I thought about you today. A perfect little card for the perfect roses for the perfect office delivery. And on a normal ol' Monday morning. How perfect! Well...almost. While I greatly appreciated the flowers and loved the gesture, the man who sent them is not someone I'm interested in. A very nice guy with pretty clear intentions, yet for me, there's no reciprocity of pursuit. So, as the roses sat on the ledge in front of the window in my cubie, I immediately begin to think about the implications of these pretty flowers. What did he want? Had we not just previously discussed just being friends? Would there be more to come? Would he go overboard with gifts? So on and so forth. I eventually got back to work, occassionally staring at the beauty of the flowers and smiling. When I left work, I left the flowers on the window sill to greet me in the morning. On my way home I was telling my sister about the bouquet delivery and how I was wondering what it implied and what I might need to be concerned about. I went on to talk about I was talked about someone sending me flowers at work, yet when I got them, I was trying to ask a million questions. Then I wondered aloud if this was some kind of sign from God that this man really was the one for me or something....despite the fact that I haven't a single tinge of anything for him. I know...crazy, right? So finally my sis mercifully stops my paranoid rant. She pointed out that although I've always talked about getting flowers at work, the actual occurrence of it did not mean that God was sending down some declaration of my soul mate. Rather, it was simply the kind, thoughtful, surprising gesture that I'd wanted. The sender of the flowers wasn't so much the important thing in this case. It was the beauty of the flowers as they sat in my window sill and the joy that I got upon realizing that someone had sent ME flowers of their own free desire. How very true. I began to appreciate the flowers in a much simpler way...unclouded by nonsense questions and concerns regarding the in depth meaning of each petal. After all, they were just roses. Just pretty red roses. For me. When I went to work the next morning, the petals had begun to open up and I pulled opened the shades to expose them to the full sunlight. Absolutely beautiful. I sat down, opened up my email and giggled...someone sent me flowers!

No comments: