Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Where does your heart feel lightest?

Sometimes I really wonder how people used to work in the same job for 40-50 years. I assume that, in most cases, it had more to do with responsibility than affinity for their work. A lot has changed and nowadays folks will change jobs every few years if they choose. But, regardless of how much job-hopping we do, how happy are we in any given position?

Every so often, I go through these times where I struggle to get up for work EVERY SINGLE morning. Sometimes I stay up too late; sometimes my iron level (& therefore my energy level) may be low; sometimes I just want to take a vacation...etc etc...but, I have to believe that at times it is more than that. As far as my job goes, it's cool. I don't love it, but I like it and enjoy my field and the people that I work with. I enjoy the tangible nature of my work...designing or reviewing something and then in the future actually being able to go outside and see it built, functioning and improving what was there before. That's cool. But, it's still not my passion. It's not what I could see myself happily doing in 20 years.

An old friend of mine asked me an interesting question a few months back. We were talking about purpose and jobs and passions and how to know what we were supposed to be doing. She listened to me ramble on about my 9 to 5 and about my love of writing/ creativity/ communicating emotions & experiences in a way that others can feel understood and validated. She paused and asked me a simple question. When and where do your heart and your spirit feel lightest?

Hmmm. My spirit feels light when...I am creating. My spirit feels light when...I capture something in a way that allows someone else to see things differently. My heart feels light when...it's 3am and I'm in my makeshift darkroom printing black & whites. My spirit feels light when...I'm driving with all the windows down and verbally composing a new poem of substance. My heart feels light when...I can let someone know they are not alone in their experience or thinking...

I don't think I'm supposed to up and quit my job right now. (At least, I don't think God has put that in my spirit just yet.) But, I do think I should spend much more time in those places where my heart and spirit feel light. And maybe those are the things that will make me eager to wake up and get out of bed in the mornings. If not for this paycheck, than for another opportunity to create something wonderful for someone else and/or myself. Now that's something to look forward to.

2 comments:

Eb the Celeb said...

I dont understand it either... I recently left my job because they were trying to move me to another state and my grandmother couldnt believe it... she was like you better move where they want you to go... you have a good job... but I had to do what was right for me and quite frankly I felt like I couldnt grow anymore in that position anyway...

I think our parents and grandparents are just used to you getting a good job and staying in it until its time to retire... but now we have more of an entrepreneurial spirit where we move and shake to the next best thing and are becoming high level executive in our 30's rather than 40's and 50's

GemisMyName said...

Great post, so inspiring.

I believe that your heart feels lightest in these places because it's where you're using your God given talents. You are a creative being and these are the things that you were created to do; they make you tick and probably come somewhat effortlessly to you. I know that these things might not pay the bills RIGHT NOW, but you're on the right track as far as spending more time in those places because you really don't know where it'll take you.

To me it's no coincidence at all that all the things you're passionate about and great at, also bless others. Now I know that's definitely part of all of our purpose.

You'll find your way; just continue to stay in these places.