Friday, October 24, 2008

Ms. N.D. Pendent

She reached for her wallet out of habit. He held the black leather case with the check in one hand and his credit card in the other. She casually reached her own card across the table and he looked at it with both amusement and confusion. In a relaxed voice he said...You can put that away. After all, didn't I ask you out to lunch? She shrugged and said...well, yes, but you never know. She was like a Girl Scout...always prepared. He smiled warmly. Well, I invited you to lunch with me, so I am treating. She smiled...outside and inside. She liked this. Thank you. They sat at the table chatting while the waitress took care of the check. She brought back the receipt and he jotted down the tip and his signature. Despite the lunch 'hour' time constraint, they had already been there for an hour and a half enjoying each other's company. Duty calling, they slid out of the booth and walked towards the door. She arriving there first, extended her hand to the door. He placed one hand on the small of her back and reached over her to put his other hand on the door as he chuckled...Can you let me get the door for you? She looked up at him and grinned sheepishly...oh, thank you. They proceeded outside and she continued...you know, I don't even think about it most times, I just open it myself. I'd hate to just be standing in front of a door waiting for someone to open it...she laughed. I don't know, maybe it depends on how they were raised, but not all men open doors. He shook his head, looked at her and intently replied...well, maybe you've been dating the wrong men. Her stomach fluttered a little, but she held his gaze and said, maybe I have.

3 comments:

GemisMyName said...

Based on a true story? <:) Well it's so nice to see that chivalry is NOT DEAD but is indeed alive and taking deserving women out to lunch. We have to relearn some of the stuff we were taught and let a gentleman be just that.

jendayi said...

i like when this happens. you do for yourself, and a man shows you that you don't have to. that's exactly how it should go.

Bloggal said...

this happens to me ALL the time. i open my own doors, pull out my own chairs, try to pay for myself on dates, etc. and guys HATE that. but i think you're right, it has alot to do with how you were raised. i was taught to be self sufficient and not to depend on a man for anything. i guess that comes from being raised in a house full of women.