Thursday, August 21, 2008

Victory is Sweet...sometimes...

If the Olympics don't end soon, I'm going to be a walking zombie!! But, hey, it's worth it.
After these Olympics, I am a grand fan of beach volleyball! I have been following the US women's team of Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh since the games began and they are fierce! Last night, in the pouring rain, they beat the talented Chinese team for the Gold medal. Yes! They played two great matches to win the set on a spike by Walsh. These ladies apparently have not lost a match since the game was invented...lol...okay, maybe not that long, but they have a serious winning streak. And I'm sooooo glad it continues!


In the men's 200-m race, that quick-footed Usain Bolt shut 'em down again. It's amazing to watch. He did seem to work a little harder in this race and hold off the celebration until after the race was done, but he still took it by several strides. Good stuff. Unfortunately for the US, Wallace Spearmon, originally taking the bronze, was DQ'd for stepping on the lane line several times. Shortly after that, the dude from the Netherlands (I think), originally taking the silver, was also DQ'd for the same thing. This moved the other two US runners - Shawn Crawford and Walter Dix, into the silver and bronze positions, respectively. I don't know...the athlete in me feels that if I'm at the Olympics and win a medal, I don't want it to come from two other folks getting DQ'd on a technicality. I don't want to tell my grandkids...yea, I actually came in 5th, but uh, that bronze was all mine! But, I know Crawford and Dix didn't have a say in the matter...and I could even tell that Dix, in his after race interview, wasn't it feeling it too tough either. But I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles or the way the race ends. Congrats to them all nonetheless!


No comments: