Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Part I - The nervous excitement...


I couldn't really sleep last night. It's the way I felt before the first days of school or work...or before any big event. Nervous and excited. Don't want to oversleep. Wake up every few hours and peak at the clock on my nightstand. Wondering what the lines will be like...will I have time before work or should I go in the midday?

The polls here open at 7 am, so I finally got up around 6 and got dressed. Armed with my camera and an assortment of breakfast snacks and my IPOD, I headed out the door. My polling place is only about two blocks or so away...so I could tell as soon as I drove out, the place was packed. It was 6:40 AM and the line was looped around and around and around. Folks were out there with their chairs, breakfast, novels and more. It was awesome. I felt a little emotional seeing all of these determined voters waiting patiently for the doors to the polls to open. I drove around for awhile just looking at all the people. Snapped a few pictures. I did decide to head to work and come back later. I'm going to head back over at about 10:30 or so. I'll keep you posted. But, whatever the line is looking like where you are, take the time to vote. It's not just a privilege, it's an obligation.




1 comment:

GemisMyName said...

That picture is funny...there's something quirky and comical about it. How about this for serious dedication? My uncle sent his absentee ballot in from Ghana to Florida!! Gotta love that...