Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I love my H-B-C-U...alright alright alright!


This was a great weekend. Absolutely.


My alma mater came to town to play a local HBCU in football. My alumni folks showed up in numbers...I think we outnumbered the home fans. As far as the football game went, we crushed them...lol. So, by the time halftime rolled around, there was no need to continue to hang out in the stands...so we got to mixing and mingling around the stadium. Plenty of folks were in town for both the game and the Black MBA conference. I got to catch up with old friends and look at potential new ones..lol. My girl was in town and she has a cousin who works at this soul food spot. We swung through there after the game and got some good eating in. This caused a mandatory nap when we got back to the house. We were supposed to go out at 10 pm, but the couches held us captive until after 11...I think it was a setup!

Anyway, we met up with my other girl and made it to the spot before midnight. The party was being hosted by a few alumni members, so it was thick with folks I went to school with. I encountered the guy I had a crush on in school at the door and he loved me up with lots of hugs. I hadn't even gotten inside yet and I was already overstimulated by the evening...lol. Anyway, there's was nothing but good stuff on the inside. We chilled and kicked it like it was the late 1990s and we were still back in school. The DJ clearly had a play list because the song selection was perfect! I saw folks I hadn't seen in forever and we all stayed until the lights came on and the bouncer guy started threatening us to get out...lol. We hung out outside for awhile and then went to IHOP.

By the time I got home and in the bed it was 5am. Wow. Hadn't done that in awhile...this was the most fun I've had in some time. Sunday my mind and body was moving in slow motion. Although we hung out like we were 19, my body was still...30...lol. But, it's all good.

Man. I love my HBCU. There was nothing like it when I was there and there's nothing like it now, as an alumnus. The experience is irreplacable. To all the folks that question the relevancy and importance of these schools...you're way off. I'll post a whole blog about that in the future.

But, until then, I'll be representing my alma mater with nostalgia, pride and joy!

2 comments:

GemisMyName said...

"I got to catch up with old friends and look at potential new ones..lol"

I love that, especially the potential new ones part! So did you meet any?

Anonymous said...

I so agree! HBCU LOVE!