Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Where were you when...

As I watched the news this morning and they were talking about the upcoming 7th anniversary of the September 11th attacks, I was thinking about the events that have shaped the lives of this generation. My parents' generation can likely recall where they were when MLK and JFK were killed...when the first man walked on the moon...the Vietnam War...the day when certain music greats died - Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, Buddy Holly...and more.


What were the big (non-personal) events that still remain so sharp to me that I can remember my exact location when I heard? Here's what I got:






  • The Space Shuttle Challenger crashed (Jan 1986) - I was in the 3rd grade. I, my classmates and my third grade teacher Mr. A, sat around the radio listening to the launch, excited about both Ronald McNair and the teacher Christa McAuliffe who were on board. When the space shuttle crashed we were devastated.



  • The OJ Simpson verdict was announced (Sept 1995) - I was in my freshman year at college, in a sociology class of all places. They had brought in a tv so we could all watch the outcome. The whole case was crazy.



  • Biggie was killed (March 1997) - Maybe I'm weird for remembering this, but I do. I was in college and it was spring break. We had gone home with my friend to SC for the week. The tv was on in the living room and they made the announcement...we just stood there with our mouths hanging open.



  • Aaliyah's Plane Crashed (August 2001) - I was living in NC. I had fallen asleep with the tv on and around 4 am or so I heard them say that Aaliyah had been in a plane that crashed. I thought it was a dream until I woke up fully and saw it on several stations.


  • Sept 11th attacks (Sept 2001) - I was living in NC, sitting on the couch watching tv when the news started coming across. I was so confused about what was going on that I called my childhood friend who was also living in NC at the time. We stayed on the land line with each other while trying to call home on our cell phones. We were terrified.

  • Barack Obama elected as president (Nov 2008) - I'll be at a victory party!! :)

I'm sure there are more, but these are the one's that immediately come to mind. Perhaps strange, perhaps not.

Do you remember where you were when these things happened?

6 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

I don't remember the shuttle crashing because i was six
i do remember the simpson verdict

i was a sophmore in high school and we were following it in school too...some kind of way it was annouced on the loud speakers in the school...yea i know weird

i remember my brother calling me and i didn't believe him...it wasn't until i saw it on tv, on several stations that it really kicked in...

9/11: i was at home, and all i can remember is freaking out wanting to find my mother! she worked for the gov't and her position could have her at any place at any time...so i was like where is my mom!

11/2008 i'll be in my home dancing like nobody is watching!

Anonymous said...

Specifically Sept. 11th. I was on campus with my friend. We talked about this the other day.

Thanks for reminding me of these things. It helps me to appreciate peace :-)

Love the blog!

GemisMyName said...

1. I don't remember the shuttle crash. How do you remember that?

2. I was in high school; they announced it over the loud speakers at our school!! LOL! I wonder how his latest trial will turn out.

3. Dang, I think I was working after school (at my p/t job) when I heard this on the radio.

4. I woke up and turned on the TV and I remember thinking that it must've been some kind of bad joke or a dream. I quickly realized that it was neither. I remember that I cried...

5. On Sept 11th, I was actually working for a DOD contractor and we had just gone to a project meeting at the Pentagon the day before! I know two people that were killed in the attacks. My colleagues and I were looking at the news of the Trade Center attacks on the internet when my girlfriend called me screaming because the Pentagon had just been hit. She remembered me saying I had a meeting there that week but was not sure of the day. Again I cried hysterically...

Cool topic!

Eb the Celeb said...

Sigh at you leaving PAC out... that's the only tragedy that I remember exactly where I was when I found out

Eb the Celeb said...

Actually I remember Sept. 11th too!

I was actually walking threw the student union on campus watching the news when the second plane flew into the second tower... that was crazy

Anonymous said...

OJ simpson- Same thing--brought in a TV to my DECA class and we sat in sheer disbelief.

Biggie- also on spring break sitting at home and sat in sheer disbelief

Aaliyah- did not find out until the next morning when my friends and I discussed it on the way to church. Still sat in sheer disbelief.

9/11- was studying in grad school in NC when people started walking by and crying hysterically. read the news and sat there..you guessed it! in sheer disbelief.